Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Hey Boys, Hey Girls, Superstar DJs.....

Here we go!



On Sunday 23rd Sept I fly out of London Gatwick for a 3 month trip to Central America, something I've been planning for a whole 3 weeks now!

The main aim of the trip is to do some veterinary volunteering at ARCAS Peten, a wildlife rescue centre in the lowland jungles of Guatemala, close to the town of Flores. I'm planning on being there 2 months, and afterwards Hannah will be joining me for a 3 week trip around the Yucatan peninsula to see some Mayan ruins and stunning beaches.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What have I been up to since my last post - almost 2 years ago? Well, there was the small matter of working a ski season in Val D'Isere, where Hannah and I ran a posh chalet full of very nice people for the winter. We worked our fingers to the bone for very little money and lots of great snow, became brilliant snowboarders and European Chalet Hosts of the Year to boot. I warn you now, kids, it is NOT all about the skiing, especially if you have some work ethic driving you!



In May of last year I joined St Boniface Vets - a small mixed practice in mid-Devon. It was great - very friendly, lots of fun, and work varying from spending the day castrating rabbits to TB testing 800 cows. As those in the know will agree, it doesn't get much sweeter than that. Honest. Hannah, in the meantime, completed a short contract for Weymouth Parks department before pulling a blinder and getting a Tree Officer job in Southampton. This was great career news but made the Devon - Dorset weekend commute much longer.


So, in July, I departed the hallowed halls of St Boniface and returned home for a DIY stint on my students mansion in Beechways Drive. Handy Andy I am not (more like Patch-It up Pete), but a new bathroom is installed, the outside paintwork is no longer peeling away, the inside is a nice shade of white and the garage door red not blue.

So I've had the rabies jabs, the typhoid jabs, bought packs of malaria meds (that interfere with the rabies jabs) and lots of mosquito repellent. It's going to be very, very hot and really quite wet. As a superstar DJ once said, "that's no good if you're in the jungle".

Wish me luck. Especially as I'm going via the USA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hola Pedro - how was US immigration then?