Friday, October 05, 2007

At ARCAS

On Monday morning I packed my bags and tried, unsuccessfully, to retrieve my washing from a laundry before heading out to ARCAS. On my way out the hostel an American called Wendy came running after me - she wanted to go as well. we walked across to the pier where the boat left from and sat down to wait.

ARCAS is probably the biggest reason I chose to come to Central America. Founded in 1989, it is an NGO that rescues and rehabilitates wildlife in Guatemala. It works closely with it's counterpart in the Guatemalan government, CONAP, and relies entirely on donations to fund it. At present ARCAS has two sites - a rescue and rehab facility just outside of Flores, and a turtle hatchery on the Pacific coast of Guatemala near Monterrico. There is also an office in Guatemala City and an extensive high-school level educational programme.

I had been in contact with ARCAS before I left, primarily to find out if I would be able to do veterinary work there on a daily basis. On the promise that I could, I decided to spend up to a cople of months there, depending on what their definition of "regular veterinary work" was.

ARCAS at the moment is home to some 500-600 mammals and birds, a few of which are below. I'll expand more in further posts!








2 comments:

jenmick said...

leave us in suspense then - what are those cute wee animals?

Anonymous said...

Hey Pete...I found your site when I was searching for feedback from ARCAS volunteers. I'm intending to stay at ARCAS' site at Peten for 2 months, in October and December, and whilst I think the work and the organisation itself sound fantastic, I've had a few people pushing me to find out more, in case it turns out horribly. I wouldn't be doing vet work, just general help and care, but if you have any comments on what it's like and whether two months seems too lengthy a time to stay, I'd really, really appreciate it.

If you can find the time, my email's ellie.paton@gmail.com . Thanks!