Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Mendoza and Beyond

Well it's been an expensive 3 days since I last posted. I'm now in Mendoza, Argentina - a small city that sits about 150km east of the main Andes cordillera, but a good base for exploring them. It's a really pretty city - low buildings, wide avenues and loads of trees. Most of this is because the city was destroyed a few decades ago by an earthquake - a common phenomenon up and down the Andes it seems. Like every other South American town it has a Plaza Independencia:



Argentina is much cheaper than Chile; you can eat out for a quid and a bottle of wine will set you back 70p. There are lots of bodegas (vineyards) in the surrounding areas that you can visit and sample the produce. Whilst Chilean wine is more popular, the Argentinians reckon that's down to better marketing and not quality.

Since I arrived from Santiago I've found myself in Campo Base II hostel, which turns out to be pretty lively and very friendly. These are also the people I am also going to try and climb Aconcagua with. The 3 week expedition starts tomorrow so I won't be posting for a while.... although I hear there is a hotel with internet access at base camp (4700 metres). The trip has been the main expense over that past few days - the climbing permit itself costs 300USD.

The mountain is now almost regarded as a trekking route, which is pretty misguided. The summit is 6962m (ish); so far I have met 2 people who have had frostbite and last week someone reached the top too late in the day and never made it back down. Having spoken to a few people who have done it, the key to it is mental stamina and good adaption to altitude; physical fitness is not top of the list. I have no idea how I will react to the altitude, and nor have I been in a situation that required such prolonged mental stamina, so I guess we'll have to see. On the plus side it is a fully guided trip and I have rented some really good equipment, which should at least look after the frostbite side of things. And don't worry, I'm not going to try a Touching the Void thing either.... I'd rather go back!

Anyway, back in Mendoza it's hot, and the beer is cheap. I'll leave you with a photo of the road running through the huge, beautiful municipal park that lies to the west of town.



Aconcagua here I come!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck mate. Base camp @ 4700 metres! Cheers, Dave

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling on top of the world when you get there!!
Chris & Geoff Fisher