Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Stuck in Transit (or how to avoid DVT)

It is 1am on Tuesday and I´m in Madrid still. I was meant to be winging my way over the Atlantic now but alas, it twas not to be.

I could bore you with details of bungled check-ins at Heathrow and late arrivals in Madrid, but it didn´t really matter as the flight to Santiago appears to have been cancelled. We´re not really sure, but then neither are the staff.

So I find myself in the posh Auditorio hotel in Madrid (biggest in Europe!), bloated after a three course meal, wondering when the flight will depart. And writing this because I´m not really tired.

I´ll look on the episode as providence because it makes me much less likely to get DVT, and I´ve met a nice astronomer called Jonathon who has offered to put me up if the hostel won´t take me when I arrive.

Unfortunately I don´t have my bag (locked up Madrid Barajas aeropuerto somewhere) but after driving to Heathrow, sitting around there then flying here I´m glad of the break.

I´ll let you know when I get there.

No comments: